1. Contact your local animal control or municipal authority (a list of animal control agencies and their websites are listed here on our website), leaving a lost report with a description of your lost pet. Continue to check with them to find out if your pet has been picked up.
2. Personally visit all surrounding animal shelters, leaving a lost report, including a picture of your lost pet. Then continue to follow up. (Please call or visit the Humane Society of the South Platte Valley during business hours at 2129 W. Chenango Ave, Littleton, CO 80120, 303-703-2938 to see if your lost pet has made it to our shelter.)
3. Contact all local vet offices in your area.
4. Post signs in your neighborhood or area saying that the animal was lost. Talk to all surrounding neighbors.
5. Keep collars with tags and up-to-date contact information on your pets at all times.
6. Have your pets microchipped to ensure that, even if they get lost without their collar, they still have identification. Once microchipped, be sure to keep the registration and contact information up to date and to pay annual fees, if there are any.
7. Look online at all shelters with websites. Many list found pets online during the “stray hold” time period to help them get reunited with their families.
8. If you are going out of town, be sure to share this information with the person caring for your pets, and leave them information to contact you immediately if your pet is lost, so that you may take steps remotely to find your lost pet.
If you are unable to see the pictures below, please click on the following link to take you directly to the Petfinder Search Page – https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=CO327&status=F
The Humane Society of the South Platte Valley is also set up as an Affiliate Shelter with Find Toto.
Click on the Find Toto logo on the sidebar to learn more about Find Toto.